Today we’ve announced the Sony Xperia T2 Ultra, a large-screen smartphone that delivers the best of Sony’s imaging and display technologies. Xperia T2 Ultra features a Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ MSM8928 Quad-core 1.4 GHz processor with 1GB of RAM, and Adreno 305 GPU. It has a 6” HD display with a resolution of 1280×720 pixels. Xperia T2 Ultra also includes support for LTE, NFC, and ANT+, and will launch on Android 4.3. Read the full post for the complete specs and features list.
Xperia T2 Ultra combines a number of key design features that balance the need for a large screen with portability and battery endurance. It has a 6” HD TRILUMINOS display that extends to within 2.5 mm of the phone’s edges. This means that it has a screen to phone size ratio of 73.6%, which makes the most of the space available and ensures that the phone is no wider than a standard credit card. Xperia T2 Ultra is also slim (7.6 mm) and light (weighing only 173 ± 1g depending on variant differences), fitting easily in a jacket pocket.
And to power its big, bright screen, Xperia T2 Ultra incorporates a battery-efficient processor and 3000 mAh battery, coupled with Sony’s unique Battery STAMINA mode that automatically turns off functions to save power when you don’t need them and restarts them when you do.
An innovative, smart social camera
Xperia T2 Ultra features a 13 MP camera with Exmor RS for mobile, bringing the best of Sony’s digital imaging technology coupled with Sony’s new smart social camera ecosystem, to provide smartphone photography that can go far beyond the traditional snapshot, including retouch and background defocus features. The smart social camera system also allows developers use the Sony Add-on SDK to create camera add-ons that extend functionality and re-define the smartphone camera’s role. A growing number of third party apps are already available through the Sony Select app recommendation service and accessible directly from the camera app on Xperia T2 Ultra.
Connect with smart accessories
Xperia T2 Ultra is supported by a comprehensive range of NFC-enabled Sony companion products and accessories that can be instantly paired with one-touch functions. Enhance your Xperia T2 Ultra experience with:
- SmartBand: An innovative life logging accessory wrist band that lets you keep track of your movements, your communication and your entertainment. Learn more about this new accessory in our recent blog post about SmartBand
- SmartWatch 2: Use as a second screen for Xperia T2 Ultra. Read messages, handle calls, easily access notifications – all from your wrist. Also trigger the Xperia T2 Ultra camera shutter. Today, there are more than 300 compatible applications for SmartWatch 2, with many more in the pipeline thanks to our vibrant developer community.
- SBH52: Dynamic Smart Bluetooth™ Handset providing stereo sound and OLED display. Splash-proof and supports NFC and HD Voice.
- SCR14: Smart flip case to protect your screen from scratching, or serves as a holding stand. Its smart sensors automatically wake up the Xperia T2 Ultra as soon as you open the cover.
Dual SIM option
The Xperia T2 Ultra dual variant includes Sony’s latest generation of dual SIM mobile technology. You can set up both SIM cards independently with custom ring tones and one-touch switching between SIMs before making calls or sending texts. Also, you can keep both SIMs active, never missing a call, even while talking on one of them.
Develop for Xperia T2 Ultra
A number of Sony developer tools and APIs are available for the Xperia T2 Ultra, including:
- Sony Add-on SDK, which is an add-on for the standard Android™ SDK, and allows you to extend your app to make it work with Sony SmartWatch 2 and a number of other Sony Smart Accessories with the Smart Extension APIs. You can also make your imaging app part of the Xperia T2 Ultra’s camera app with the Camera Add-on API.
- Motion API, an API for the Smart Imaging Stand, which enables you to create apps that make use of the pan and tilt movement in the stand.
- Camera Remote API (beta): Develop smartphone apps to control Sony cameras. This also includes the QX10/QX100 camera lenses for smartphones.
Availability and colours
Xperia T2 Ultra is available in white, black, or purple colour variants. Xperia T2 Ultra is aimed at customers in China, the Middle East, Africa, and the Asia Pacific rim and will launch in many major markets from Q1 2014. Local availability and pricing will vary by market region.
Xperia T2 Ultra & Xperia T2 Ultra dual at a glance
- Qualcomm Snapdragon MSM8928 Quad-core 1.4 GHz processor.
- Adreno 305 GPU.
- 165.2 x 83.8 x 7.65 mm.
- 171.7 grams (D5303); 172.4 grams (D5306); 171.8 grams (D5322); 173.4 grams (XM50h); 170.6 grams (XM50t).
- 3000 mAh battery.
- Supported networks (D5303): UMTS HSPA+ 850 (Band V), 900 (Band VIII), 2100 (Band I) MHz; GSM GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz; LTE (Bands 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20)
- Supported networks (D5306): UMTS HSPA+ 850 (Band V), 900 (Band VIII), 1700 (Band IV), 1900 (Band II), 2100 (Band I) MHz; GSM GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz; LTE (Bands 2, 4, 7, 17)
- Supported networks (D5322): SIM 1: UMTS HSPA+ 850 (Band V), 900 (Band VIII), 1900 (Band II), 2100 (Band I) MHz; GSM GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz; SIM 2: GSM GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
- Supported networks (XM50h): TD LTE (Bands 38, 39, 40, 41); FDD LTE (Bands 1, 3, 7, 17); TD-SCDMA (Bands 34, 39); WCDMA (Bands 1, 2, 5); GSM GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
- Supported networks (XM50t): TD LTE (Bands 38, 39, 40, 41); FDD LTE (Bands 1, 3, 7, 17); TD-SCDMA (Bands 34, 39); WCDMA (Bands 1, 2, 5); GSM GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
- 1 GB RAM, up to 8 GB flash memory.
- Memory card slot: microSD™, up to 32 GB.
- Sony Surround Sound technology (VPT).
- Bluetooth® stereo (aptX®, A2DP)
- Clear Bass.
- Clear Phase™.
- Clear stereo.
- xLOUD™ Experience.
- Battery STAMINA mode.
- TrackID™ Music recognition**.
- 6.0” HD TRILUMINOS Display.
- 1280×720 pixels.
- 13 MP camera.
- 16x digital zoom.
- HDR for photo and movies.
- HD video recording (1080p).
- Front-facing camera (1 MP 720p).
- Superior Auto.
- Social live.
- Timeshift burst.
- Ambient light sensor.
- Proximity sensor.
- ANT+ sport, fitness, health support.
- Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology
- 4G LTE**.
- Screen mirroring.
- DLNA Certified®.
- PlayStation® certified.
- Android 4.3 (Jelly Bean MR2).
For more specifications, check out the Xperia T2 Ultra and Xperia T2 Ultra dual white papers – Xperia T2 Ultra Dual D5322, Xperia T2 Ultra D5303/5306, Xperia T2 Ultra XM50h, and Xperia T2 Ultra XM50t.
* Non-LTE variants available in certain markets, for more information check with local SOMC representatives.
**This feature or service may not be available in every market.