Today marks the announcement of Xperia™ M, which is the latest model in the Xperia™ range of premium smartphones, and it brings a number of potent features often only associated with high-end models. Xperia™ M comes with a 1 GHz Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ S4 dual-core processor, a generous 4” FWVGA display, and a 5 megapixel fast-capture camera with auto-focus and HDR for pictures. Xperia™ M also comes in a dual SIM version called Xperia Mdual. Learn about all the specs and features in the full post.
The 4” FWVGA display of Xperia™ M has a resolution of 854×480 pixels (-hdpi, 244 ppi), and the 5 megapixel fast-capture camera with auto-focus and HDR for photos also has a dedicated shutter key. The heart of this device is the 1 GHz Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ S4 MSM8227 dual-core processor, with an Adreno 305 GPU. Xperia™ M, coming with Android™ 4.1 (Jelly Bean), also includes NFC support and screen mirroring, for easy one-touch content sharing.
The dual SIM variant Xperia Mdual lets users select between two SIMs before making a call or sending a message with just a single click. Each SIM card can also be customised separately – for example, a formal ring for business or another tune for pleasure – perfect when you for example want to handle calls more efficiently.
Battery STAMINA Mode improves your everyday life
Battery STAMINA Mode is another useful feature in Xperia™ M and Xperia Mdual. It’s a power management setting which can extend the standby time by more than four times*, by reducing the background activities of most applications when you turn off the screen. Once you turn on the screen, the apps are working as normal again. Learn more on how Battery STAMINA Mode works in our recent Developer World post.
OmniBalance design for a sleek and solid look & feel
Xperia™ M and Xperia Mdual features the familiar OmniBalance design, first introduced in the flagship Xperia Z. The aesthetic language takes the form of a precision-crafted co-moulded aluminium frame, and gives the phone a seamless look that is both tactile and sleek. Designed to complement the slim style, Xperia™ M and Xperia Mdual also features colour-changing illuminations that can be personalised to visually alert you to incoming calls, text messages and alarms.
Sony trademark apps included
Sony’s media applications, offering consistent entertainment experiences across mobile, tablet, desktop and console platforms, are also included in Xperia™ M and Xperia Mdual. The “WALKMAN”, Album and Movies apps provide online and offline content through a single access point with new ways to enjoy and share that content.
Xperia™ M and Xperia Mdual also includes the useful Small Apps functionality, also available in other recent Xperia™ devices. Small Apps are special, mini apps that can run on top of other applications, and allow true multi-tasking. Xperia™ M and Xperia Mdual comes equipped with a number of Small Apps, but there more available to download from Google Play™. And if you’re a developer, you can create your own Small Apps.
Develop for Xperia™ M and Xperia Mdual
A number of Sony developer tools are available for Xperia™ M and Xperia Mdual. With the Sony Add-on SDK, you can for example create app extensions for the in-built Small App functionality by using the Small App API. Plus, the Sony Add-on SDK also includes the option to develop apps for Sony SmartWatch and Sony SmartWireless Headset pro.
Availability and colours
Xperia™ M and Xperia™ Mdual will be available in black, white and purple – a yellow colour variation will also be available for the single SIM model. Xperia™ M and Xperia™ Mdual will both be available worldwide from Q3 2013.
Xperia™ M and Xperia™ Mdual at a glance:
- 1 GHz Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ S400 MSM8227 dual-core processor.
- Adreno 305 GPU.
- Supported networks Xperia™ M: UMTS HSPA+ 900 (Band VIII), 2100 (Band I) MHz. UMTS HSPA+ 850 (Band V), 1900 (Band II), 1700 (Band IV), 2100 (Band I) MHz. GSM GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz.
- Supported networks Xperia™ Mdual: UMTS HSPA+ 900 (Band VIII), 2100 (Band I) MHz. UMTS HSPA+ 850 (Band V), 1900 (Band II), 1700 (Band IV), 2100 (Band I) MHz. GSM GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
- 1 GB RAM.
- 4 GB (up to 2.8 GB user-accessible memory) internal phone memory.**
- Memory card slot: microSD™ card, up to 64 GB.
- 854×480 pixels.
- 4 inch FWVGA display.
- 244 ppi.
- 124 x 62 x 9.3 mm.
- 115 grams.
- 5 megapixel camera.
- 4x digital zoom.
- LED photo flash.
- 720p HD video recording.
- HDR technology for pictures.
- Dedicated shutter key.
- Battery STAMINA Mode.
- xLOUD™ Experience.
- 3D Surround Sound (Virtual Phone Technology).
- HD voice support.
- Ambient light sensor.
- Proximity sensor.
- “WALKMAN” music player app.
- Video Unlimited.
- PlayStation® Certified.***
- Xperia™ M comes with Android™ 4.1 (Jelly Bean), and Xperia™ Mdual comes with Android™ 4.2 (Jelly Bean).
* Values are according to GSM Association Battery Life Measurement Technique as performed in controlled laboratory conditions. Battery performance may vary depending on network conditions and configurations, and phone usage.
** Memory comprises of approximate 1.2 GB firmware and 2 GB internal storage used for music, pictures and movies, and downloaded applications and their data.
*** This service is not available in all markets and may not be available at the time of launch.
**** This service is not available in all markets.
- Download the Xperia M white paper or the Xperia M dual white paper.
- Find out about the Sony Add-on SDK.
- Learn about the Small App API.
- Learn how Battery STAMINA Mode works.
- Find out how NFC works.
- Learn how GLONASS works.
- Read about the OmniBalance design language.
- Check out the specs for Sony Xperia ZR, Sony Xperia Tablet Z and Sony Xperia Z.