Today marks the emergence of Sony’s best premium smartphone to date – the Xperia™ Z2, which features superior display, sound, camera, and camcorder in a waterproof* smartphone. Xperia Z2 features the Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 801 processor MSM8974AB quad-core 2.3 GHz processor with 3GB RAM, and Adreno 330 GPU. It comes with a 5.2” Full HD TRILUMINOS™ Display with a resolution of 1920×1080 pixels, Live Colour LED, 4K video capture, and Digital Noise Cancelling. The Xperia Z2 also supports 4G LTE, NFC, and ANT+, and will launch on Android 4.4 (KitKat). Get the full specs for Xperia Z2 after the jump.
The Xperia Z2 takes the Sony experience to the next level, by combining the best technologies Sony has to offer in a waterproof smartphone:
- Best-ever display – 5.2” TRILUMINOS Display for mobile with new Live Colour LED.
- Best-ever sound – first ever smartphone with digital noise-cancelling support.
- Best-ever camera – capture video in 4K resolution with SteadyShot™, and new Timeshift video and AR effects camera apps.
- Best-ever camcorder – enhanced video mode for capturing video in 4K resolution.
Performance plus power
Xperia Z2 comes fully integrated with the Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor with 2.3 GHz processor, quad core Krait CPU and 4G LTE for fast performance. It also has a large 3200mAh battery to provide outstanding battery performance. And with Sony’s Battery STAMINA mode, you can stay connected even longer.
Unbeatable display with new Live Colour LED
Xperia Z2’s 5.2” screen uses a Full HD TRILUMINOS display with the new Live Colour LED, powered by an image processor using a Sony-developed algorithm that provides the widest palette of natural colours. Live Colour LED uses red and green phosphor with blue LEDs and customised colour filters to produce a brighter and more uniform light. Xperia Z2 also uses X-Reality for mobile, which analyses each image to optimise colours, sharpness and contrast while also reducing noise.
The ultimate in waterproofing design
Designed with our highest level of waterproofing, Xperia Z2 has a slimmer feel with glass panels encased in a single aluminum frame with smoother edges. In addition to Xperia Z2’s dust-resistance and waterproof (IP55 & IP58) features, its OmniBalance design is balanced with symmetry for a comfortable, natural hold.
20.7MP camera + 4K camcorder technology
Xperia Z2 features a 20.7MP camera with 1/2.3-type Exmor RS™ for mobile CMOS image sensor, Sony’s award-winning G Lens and intelligent BIONZ™ for mobile image processing engine, all designed to deliver superb video and photos. With new enhanced video mode, capture video in 4K resolution (3840×2160 pixels/30p) at four times Full HD. The new Movie Creator allows you to trim and crop your videos, plus add slowdown effects with preview functionality.
Develop Xperia camera apps for Xperia Z2
A smart social camera system allows developers use the Sony Add-on SDK to create camera add-ons that extend functionality and re-define the Xperia Z2 camera’s role. A growing number of third party apps are already available through the Sony Select app recommendation service and accessible directly from the camera app on the Xperia Z2. Simply go into your camera viewfinder, tap the camera mode icon and then click on ‘+Apps’ to see all the latest Xperia camera apps available on Sony Select.
Also, a suite of Smart Social camera apps for photo and video comes preloaded in Xperia Z2. New apps include:
- Timeshift video: Lets you shoot in 120 frames per second and select scenes to slow the playback speed for dramatic slow motion effects exactly where you want, even underwater.
- Creative effect: Enhance photos and videos with a range of effects such as colours, image trails, mirror and motion effects.
- Background defocus: Capture two photos at different focus settings and blend together the different depths, leading to a blurred out background for more professional looking photos.
- AR effect: Add some fun to photos and videos with new augmented reality animations, including sound effects for video.
- Vine**: Easily create and share 6-second videos from your camera. Plus, use the dedicated camera button to capture Vine videos underwater as well.
Perfect second screen for PS4 gaming
Install the PlayStation App and use your Xperia Z2 as a second screen in supported PS4 games. For example, on THE PLAYROOM, which comes pre-installed in all PS4 systems, you can draw pictures on your mobile device screens and flick them towards the TV. It then appears as a 3D object within the game. Also, when your friends upload or begin live streaming their gameplay on PS4 systems, their activities are displayed on the “What’s New” section of the PlayStation®App screen. You can then tap on this notification, to watch them in gameplay. You can also post comments on gameplay screenshots, footage and live streams.
Develop for Xperia Z2
A number of Sony developer tools and APIs are available for the Xperia Z2, including the Sony Add-on SDK, which is an add-on for the standard Android™ SDK, and allows you to extend your app to make it work with Sony SmartWatch 2 and a number of other Sony Smart Accessories with the Smart Extension APIs. You can also make your imaging app part of the Xperia Z2’s camera app with the Camera Add-on API. And since Xperia Z2 is compatible with the DUALSHOCK®3 Wireless Controller, developers can optimise their Android games with controller support using our DUALSHOCK3 wireless controller tutorial.
Availability and colours
The Xperia Z2 is available in black, white, or purple colour variants. The Xperia Z2 will launch globally from March 2014.
Xperia Z2 at a glance
- Qualcomm Snapdragon MSM8974AB Quad-core 2.3 GHz processor.
- Adreno 330 GPU.
- 146.8 x 73.3 x 8.2 mm.
- 163 grams.
- 3200 mAh battery.
- Supported networks (D6502): UMTS HSPA+ 850 (Band V), 900 (Band VIII), 1700 (Band IV),1900 (Band II), 2100 (Band I) MHz; GSM GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz.
- Supported networks (D6503): UMTS HSPA+ 850 (Band V), 900 (Band VIII), 1700 (Band IV),1900 (Band II), 2100 (Band I) MHz; GSM GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz; LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 13, 17, 20).
- Supported networks (D6543): UMTS HSPA+ 850 (Band V), 900 (Band VIII), 1700 (Band IV), 1900 (Band II), 2100 (Band I) MHz; GSM GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz; LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8).
- 3 GB RAM, up to 16 GB flash memory.
- Memory card slot: microSD™, up to 64 GB (SDXC supported).
- IPX5 and IPX8(Waterproof)*
- IP5X (Dust protected).
- Bluetooth® stereo (aptX®, A2DP)
- Clear Bass.
- Clear Phase™.
- Clear stereo.
- Dynamic normaliser.
- xLOUD™ Experience.
- Battery STAMINA mode.
- TrackID™ Music recognition**.
- 5.2” Full HD TRILUMINOS Display for mobile.
- 1920×1080 pixels.
- 20.7MP camera.
- 8x digital zoom.
- HDR for photo and movies.
- 4k2k video recording.
- Front camera (HD 1080p for video chat and 2.2MP for camera capture).
- Superior Auto.
- Sony Exmor RS® for mobile
- X-Reality™ for mobile.
- Picture effect.
- Smile Shutter™.
- Ambient light sensor.
- Barometer sensor.
- Game rotation vector.
- Geomagnetic rotation vector.
- Step counter.
- Step detector.
- Significant motion detector.
- Proximity sensor.
- ANT+ sport, fitness, health support.
- Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology.
- Bluetooth Low Energy.
- 4G LTE**.
- Screen mirroring.
- Stylus pen support.
- DLNA Certified®.
- PlayStation® certified.
- DUALSHOCK®3 Wireless Controller supported.
- Android 4.4 (KitKat).
For more specifications, check out the Xperia Z2 white paper.
*Xperia™ Z2 is a waterproof smartphone (in compliance with IP55/58††) featuring 4K video capture with a 20.7MP camera. Specifications verified by Strategy Analytics’ SpecTRAX service as of 21st February 2014, for more information on Strategy Analytics results go to: www.sonymobile.com/testresults/.
**Subject to market availability.