Today, we’re introducing the Xperia™ Z2 Tablet, a slim, light, and waterproof* device that sets a new standard in tablet innovation. The Xperia Z2 Tablet features a Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 801 processor MSM8974AB quad-core 2.3 GHz processor with 3GB RAM, and Adreno 330 GPU. It has a 10.1” Full HD TRILUMINOS™ Display with a WUXGA resolution of 1980×1200 pixels, Live Colour LED**, Front Surround™ Sound and Digital Noise Cancelling. The Xperia Z2 Tablet also includes support for LTE, NFC and ANT+, and will launch on Android 4.4 (KitKat). Read on for the full specs.
The Xperia Z2 Tablet is the world’s first tablet display with Live Colour LED, powered by an image processor using an algorithm specifically developed by Sony. Live Colour is able to reproduce bright, natural colours and sharp images on screen. As the world’s slimmest and lightest waterproof* tablet, the Xperia Z2 Tablet is only 6.4mm thin and weighs just 426g (Wi-Fi model) – 439g (LTE/3G model). Sony’s OmniBalance design further provides balance and symmetry in all directions for a comfortable hold.
A power-packed tablet
The Xperia Z2 Tablet fully integrates the Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor with 2.3 GHz processor, quad core Krait CPU to deliver high performance without battery drain. Browse and stream content faster and smoother with the industry’s only 3rd generation 4G LTE modem, delivering 4G user speeds twice as fast. Also integrated is Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 technology, which allows devices to charge up to 75 percent faster than devices without the fast charging technology. The large 6000mAh lithium polymer battery, together with Sony’s Battery STAMINA mode, provides up to 10 hours of uninterrupted multimedia usage and more than 100 hours of music playback on a single charge.
HD photos and videos integrated with Smart Social Camera apps
The Xperia Z2 Tablet features an 8.1MP camera with Exmor RS™ for mobile, allowing you to capture HD photos and videos in any light condition, and supplemented with a 2.2MP front-facing HD camera. A pre-loaded suite of Smart Social camera apps provide smartphone photography that goes beyond the traditional snapshot, including creative effects and AR effects. The smart social camera system also allows developers use the Sony Add-on SDK to create camera add-ons that extend functionality and re-define the smartphone camera’s role. A growing number of third party apps are already available through the Sony Select app recommendation service and accessible directly from the camera app on the Xperia Z2 Tablet.
Perfect for business… or for play
Turn the Xperia Z2 Tablet into a laptop using the BKC50BT Bluetooth™ Keyboard and Tablet Cover Stand. Then, use your Xperia Z2 to view, edit, and create documents with OfficeSuite Pro 7, preloaded for free. The software uses the most commonly used desktop document formats, including modules for text documents, spreadsheets and presentations. Also available is a PDF Reader, Email reader and a File Browser, plus integration with Google Drive. View all the business capabilities of the Xperia Z2 Tablet in our Xperia in Business web portal.
You can also turn your Xperia Z2 Tablet into gaming console experience with the DUALSHOCK®3 Wireless Controller, which brings the most intuitive PlayStation® style game play entertainment straight to the tablet. For game developers, you can optimise your Android game with controller support using our DUALSHOCK3 wireless controller tutorial, which gives you an overview of the controller, guidelines and recommendations, a code snippet, as well as the key code mappings for supported devices.
Develop for Xperia Z2 Tablet
A number of Sony developer tools and APIs are available for the Xperia Z2 Tablet, including the Sony Add-on SDK, which is an add-on for the standard Android™ SDK, and allows you to extend your app to make it work with Sony SmartWatch 2 and a number of other Sony Smart Accessories with the Smart Extension APIs. You can also make your imaging app part of the Xperia Z2 Tablet’s camera app with the Camera Add-on API.
Availability and colours
The Xperia Z2 Tablet is available in black or white colour variants. The Xperia Z2 Tablet will launch globally from March 2014.
Xperia Z2 Tablet at a glance
- 10.1” Full HD TRILUMINOS™ Display for mobile with Live Colour LED powered by X-Reality™ for mobile engine delivers a superb viewing experience.
- S-Force Surround™ Sound and Digital Noise Cancelling for unrivalled audio quality.
- World’s slimmest (6.4mm) and lightest (426g for Wi-Fi / 439g for LTE/3G) waterproof (IP55/IP58) tablet for ultimate portability.
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor with 2.3 GHz quad-core Krait CPUs, 3GB RAM, 4G LTE and Battery STAMINA Mode for fast, lasting performance.
- Capacitive touchscreen with on-screen QWERTY keyboard
- Sony Mobile BRAVIA® Engine 2
- Screenshot capturing
- 16 million colours, 1920 x 1200 pixels
- Wide colour gamut
- Face unlock
- Screenshot capturing
- IPX5/8 (waterproof) & IP5X (dust-resistant) ***
- UMTS HSPA+ 850 (Band V), 900 (Band VIII), 1700 (Band IV), 1900 (Band II), 2100 (Band I) MHz ****
- GSM GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz ****
- LTE Band I, Band II, Band III, Band IV, Band V, Band VII, Band VIII, Band XIII, Band XVII, Band XX ****
- RAM: 3 GB
- Flash memory: Up to 16 GB
- Expansion slot: microSD™ card, up to 64 GB
- PlayStation Certified
- 3D games
- Video streaming
- Sony Entertainment Network (selected markets only)
- FM Radio with RDS
- TV launcher
- Screen mirroring
- TV side view
- Remote control application
- MHL 3.0 support
- Wi-Fi® and Wi-Fi® Hotspot functionality
- DLNA Certified
- Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology
- USB High speed 2.0 and Micro USB support
- Xperia Link
- PC Companion
- 3.5 mm audio jack (CTIA)
- Synchronisation via Exchange ActiveSync, Google Sync and Facebook
- Media Go
- USB charging
- ANT+ sport, fitness, health support.
- 8.1-megapixel camera
- 8x digital zoom
- Front-facing camera (2.2 MP 1080p)
- HD video recording (1080p)
- Exmor RS™ for mobile image sensor
- HDR for both picture/film
- Burst Mode
- Scene recognition
- Sweep Panorama
- Smile detection
- Face detection
- Touch focus
- Superior Auto
- Available in black or white colour variants
** Not available in all markets
*** In compliance with IP55 and IP58, the Xperia Z2 tablet is protected against the ingress of dust and is waterproof. Provided that all ports and covers are firmly closed, the tablet is (i) protected against low pressure jets of water from all practicable directions in compliance with IP55; and/or (ii) can be kept under 1.5 m of fresh water for up to 30 minutes in compliance with IP58. The tablet is not designed to float or work submerged underwater outside the IP55 or IP58 classification range. This may lead to your warranty being void.
**** Does not apply to Wi-Fi only versions.
- Download the Xperia Z2 Tablet (SGP511 and SGP512) white paper and the Xperia Z2 Tablet (SGP521, SGP541 and SGP551) white paper.
- View all the business capabilities of the Xperia Z2 Tablet in our Xperia in Business web portal.
- Find out about the Sony Add-on SDK.
- Read about Sony Xperia Z2.
- Read about Sony Xperia M2.