Today, we’re excited to introduce Sony Z Ultra Google Play edition, released on the latest Android version (4.4; KitKat) – it’s available now through the Google Play store in the United States.
Since 2012, Sony has provided Android Open Source Project (AOSP) for Xperia devices, for the tech community to use and contribute to – “Sony Z Ultra Google Play edition” is another chapter in our work to support the open Android community.
The device is based on the original Xperia™ Z Ultra; the response to which has been great, with many praising our accomplishment in hardware innovation and economy of component architecture – Qualcomm® Snapdragon 800 processor with 2.2Ghz CPU, 6.4” Full HD TRILUMINOS™ display, LTE, NFC, all contained in a dust-resistant and waterproof* (IP55 & IP58) 6.5mm body, weighing just 212 grams.
Launching on Android 4.4; KitKat, “Sony Z Ultra Google Play edition” offers the latest Google experience: a fresh look and feel, a new full-screen mode (letting app developers create edge-to-edge interfaces on phones and tablets), stronger security through support for SELinux, as well as a new integrated storage access framework, just to mention a few. For more info about all the features included in Android 4.4; ¬KitKat, see Google’s description of KitKat.
Along with these brand new Android features, Sony Z Ultra Google Play edition also comes with some of our unique Sony tech – BRAVIA smarts; TRILUMINOS™ display for mobile and X-Reality™ for mobile picture engine, and our hallmark Exmor RS™ for mobile image sensor, for immersive viewing experiences and optimum camera performance respectively.
Fredrik Ekstrand, Head of Software Product Management at Sony Mobile, says he’s looking forward to how “Sony Z Ultra Google Play edition” will be received:
“Bringing our first Google Play edition device to the US market represents a milestone in Sony’s on-going developer outreach and work with Google’s Android Open Source Project” says Fredrik. “It’s something our users have been asking for, and now we’re responding – we’re excited to gauge reaction to the latest Android version running natively on our unique product’s hardware”
With the release of the Sony Z Ultra Google Play edition, we’re now working even closer with Google to bring users Android releases in the quickest time possible. And as for software updates of our current products, head over to the Sony social newsroom to read about the latest plans for the Android 4.3 and 4.4 upgrades.
Sony Z Ultra Google Play edition – key specs at a glance
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor with 2.2Ghz CPU.
- Adreno 330 GPU.
- 179.4 x 92.2 x 6.5 mm.
- 212 gr.
- Supported networks Sony Z Ultra Google Play edition: UMTS HSPA+ 850 (Band V), 900 (Band VIII), 1700 (Band IV), 1900 (Band II), 2100 (Band I) MHz; GSM GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz LTE (Bands I, II, IV, V, VII, VIII, XVII).
- 2 GB RAM.
- Memory card slot: microSD™, (supporting up to 64 GB).
- IP55 & IP58 (Water-proof and dust-resistant).
- 3D Surround Sound.
- Clear Bass.
- Clear Phase™.
- Clear stereo.
- xLOUD™ Experience.
- 6.4” HD TRILUMINOS Display with X-Reality for mobile.
- 1920×1080 pixels (400dpi, xHDPI).
- 8 MP camera.
- 4.2x digital zoom.
- HDR for still images.
- Full HD video recording (1080p).
- “Exmor RS for mobile”.
- Front-facing camera (2 MP 1080p).
- OptiContrast panel.
- Pen input with stylus (handwriting recognition not supported).
- Touch panel cover glass with Super Hard Coat ASF.
- Ambient light sensor.
- Proximity sensor.
- Bluetooth® Smart Ready.
- Screen mirroring.
- Android™ 4.4 (KitKat).
- Widevine level 1 support.
- Google Wallet (Card emulation on host).
- Fast boot mode with graphics.
- Full recovery mode.
What do you think about the new Sony Z Ultra Google edition? Leave a comment below to share your opinion!
- Get the Sony Z Ultra Google Play edition from the Google Play store.
- Check out the original Xperia Z Ultra.
- Download the Sony Z Ultra Google Play edition white paper.
*In compliance with IP55 and IP58, Sony Z Ultra Google Play edition is protected against the ingress of dust and is waterproof. Provided that all ports and covers are firmly closed, the phone is (i) protected against low pressure jets of water from all practicable directions in compliance with IP 55; and/or (ii) can be kept under 1.50 metre of freshwater for up to 30 minutes in compliance with IP58. The phone is not designed to float or work submerged underwater outside the IP55 or IP58 classification range that may lead to your warranty will being void. Find out more www.sonymobile.com/testresults.