An update for the Sony Add-on SDK is now available and includes official support for Stereo Bluetooth® Headset SBH50 and Smart Bluetooth® Handset SBH52. This means you’ll be able to create app extensions for these Smart accessories, as well as emulate the devices for your own app extension testing. Read on to learn more about what’s been updated in this release.
The Sony Add-on SDK is an add-on package that runs on top of the Android™ SDK and which includes a wide range of APIs that you can use to develop apps for Sony Xperia™ tablets, smartphones and Smart Accessories. Sony Add-on SDK version 2.1 is mainly a maintenance release, aiming to improve the quality of the current Sony Add-on SDK. In this update, you’ll find the following changes:
- Added support and emulation capabilities for Stereo Bluetooth Headset SBH50.
- Added support and emulation capabilities for Stereo Bluetooth Handset SBH52.
- SmartWatch 2 emulator fixes and code example updates.
- Removal of compass/magnetic field sensor support from SmartWatch 2.
Updated Smart Extension API code example
In this release, we’ve updated the code example, called SampleSensorExtension, showing how to get information about what sensors are available in a certain accessory. This is useful because you can test whether or not the accessory you’re developing for will support a specific sensor. By knowing in advance that a sensor is not available on the accessory, you can take the appropriate action in your code to collect only the values needed for the supported sensor(s). You can find more about the Smart Extension API code example, plus other available utility classes and code examples, in the How to use the Smart Extension APIs guide included in the Sony Add-on SDK documentation package.
To begin using the Sony Add-on SDK:
- Download and install the Sony Add-on SDK by following the steps listed on the Sony Add-on SDK Installation page.
- Decide on which API you want to develop for, the Smart Extension APIs, Small App API, IR remote API, or Camera Add-on API.
- Set up a project by following the steps listed in the Quick Start Guide section of the selected API document – How to use the Smart Extension APIs, How to use the Small Apps API, How to use the IR remote API, or How to use the Camera Add-on API. These PDF guides are included as part of the Sony Add-on SDK documentation kit.
If you have a developer-related question about the Sony Add-on SDK, and you can’t find an answer to your question in the Sony Add-on SDK documentation kit, please post your question on the Stack Overflow forum. A team of Sony developers constantly monitors, contributes and replies to questions regarding our products and tools. To make sure that we can find your query on Stack Overflow, please tag it “Sony” before posting!