Today, we’ve just announced the Sony Xperia™ Z1, the newest addition to the premium Z series of products. Xperia™ Z1 features a QualComm® Snapdragon™ 800 processor with a 2.2 GHz quad-core CPU, and a 5” Full HD TRILUMINOS™ display. And when it comes to the camera specs, Xperia™ Z1 comes with a 1/2.3-type 20.7MP CMOS image sensor. Xperia™ Z1 also includes support for LTE, NFC, and ANT+. You’ll find the complete specs and features in the full post.
Xperia™ Z1 includes all of the features consumers have come to expect of a Sony smartphone. Its stunning looks combine Sony’s acclaimed OmniBalance design with premium materials and precision engineering in a slim waterproof and dust resistant smartphone (IP55 & IP58). A solid one-piece aluminium frame with tempered glass on the front and back ensures beauty and durability as well as a consistent viewing experience from any angle.
Inside, you’ll find a 2.2 GHz Qualcomm® MSM8974 Quad Core processor with Adreno 330 CPU and dual ISP for incredible graphics, 3D games, and videos. The Xperia™ Z1 also includes a 3000 mAh battery for a high battery performance. Sony’s Battery STAMINA Mode automatically turns off functions to save power when you don’t need them and restarts them when you do.
Another great component of the Xperia™ Z1 is the inclusion of Sony’s BRAVIA TV technologies, such as the TRILUMINOS™ Display for mobile, which creates a wider palette of rich natural colours. Xperia™ Z1 also comes with X-Reality® for mobile, which is Sony’s intelligent, super resolution technology which analyses each image and optimises the quality to deliver extra sharp videos.
The world’s leading camera in a smartphone
Xperia™ Z1 features Sony’s award-winning G Lens with a 27mm wide angle and bright F2.0 aperture, as well as 3x clear image zoom, which allows for high shutter speed while preventing shots from being blurred even when captured at a distance. The custom made large 1/2.3-type Exmor RS® for mobile CMOS image sensor with 20.7MP ensures a highly sensitive sensor that captures huge amounts of detail for sharp images even under low-light conditions.
Finally, the inclusion of the BIONZ for mobile image processing engine uses the algorithm from Sony’s leading digital compact cameras and ensures pictures with less noise, fast auto-focus, and high stable images during video shooting, preventing shots from being blurred. The combination of these technologies delivers the same level of quality and performance as a conventional compact digital camera in a slim, waterproof smartphone.
Innovative suite of Xperia™ Camera Applications
In Xperia™ Z1, you’ll find a unique set of Xperia™ Camera Applications that deliver new experiences. Applications at launch include:
- Social live: Broadcast precious moments live from Xperia™ Z1 to Facebook™ and get your friends’ comments right on your screen.
- Info-eye™: Innovative visual search function that provides related information on landmarks on items such as books or wine, simply by capturing them with the camera.
- Timeshift burst: Capture the perfect shot every time – Xperia™ Z1 takes 61 images in 2 seconds – a second before and after pressing the shutter – so you can scroll back and forth to find the perfect image.
- AR effect: Overlay a selection of fun, customisable animations to create pictures using Sony’s SmartARTM augmented reality technology.
These camera applications are supported by a robust ecosystem of established and up-and-coming developer partnerships who are working to create Xperia™ Camera Applications. Many more apps will be available through the Sony Select recommendation app after launch.
Joined by a family of companion products and smart accessories
Xperia™ Z1 is supported by an ecosystem of innovative companion products and accessories. All are underpinned by Sony’s one-touch functions with NFC technology which will number approximately 100 compatible products by the end of the year including TVs, headphones, audio speakers, tablets, and more. Key products include:
- QX10/QX100: High-performance ‘lens-style’ cameras designed for mounting on smartphones and operated through the smartphone screen – a perfect partner for Xperia™ Z1.
- Smart Imaging Stand IPT-DS10M: An intelligent accessory that helps Xperia™ Z1 detect smiles and capture special moments without the need to hold the handset.
- Smartphone Tripod SPA-MK20M: A versatile tripod perfect for extra stability when taking pictures or capturing video.
- SmartWatch 2: Use it as a second screen for Xperia™ Z1. Read messages, handle calls, easily access notifications – all from your wrist.
Develop for Xperia™ Z1
A number of Sony developer tools will soon be available for Xperia™ Z1. We will shortly publish a new version of the Sony Add-on SDK, which will include support for SmartWatch 2. The new version of the Sony Add-on SDK will also include an API which enables you to make your camera apps part of the Xperia™ Z1 camera app (if the end user has your app installed). With the Sony Add-on SDK, you can also create app extensions for the in-built Small App functionality by using the Small App API.
Today, we’re also publishing a brand new API for the Smart Imaging Stand, called the Motion API, which enables you to create apps that make use of the pan and tilt movement in the new Smart Imaging Stand.
You can also use the Camera Remote API (beta) to develop smartphone apps to control Sony cameras. This also includes the new QX10/QX100 camera lenses for smartphones.
Stay tuned to Developer World for more updates going forward!
Availability and colours
Xperia™ Z1 is available in a choice of black, white or purple colour variants. Xperia™ Z1 will be available globally in September 2013.
Xperia™ Z1 at a glance
- 2.2 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 MSM8974 quad-core processor.
- Adreno 330 GPU.
- 144 x 74 x 8.5 mm.
- 170 grams.
- 3000 mAh battery.
- Supported networks Xperia™ Z1 C6902/L39h: UMTS HSPA+ 850 (Band V), 900 (Band VIII), 1700 (Band IV), 1900 (Band II), 2100 (Band I) MHz; GSM GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz.
- Supported networks Xperia™ Z1 C6903: UMTS HSPA+ 850 (Band V), 900 (Band VIII), 1700 (Band IV), 1900 (Band II), 2100 (Band I) MHz; GSM GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz; LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 20).
- Supported networks Xperia™ Z1 C6906: UMTS HSPA+ 850 (Band V), 900 (Band VIII), 1700 (Band IV), 1900 (Band II), 2100 (Band I) MHz; GSM GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz; LTE (Bands 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 17).
- Supported networks Xperia™ Z1 C6943: UMTS HSPA+ 850 (Band V), 900 (Band VIII), 1700 (Band IV), 1900 (Band II), 2100 (Band I) MHz; GSM GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 20).
- 2 GB RAM.
- Memory card slot: microSD™, up to 64 GB (SDXC supported).
- IP55 (Waterproof)* & IP58 (Dust-proof).
- BIONZ for mobile image processing engine.
- 3D Surround Sound.
- Clear Bass.
- Clear Phase™.
- Clear stereo.
- xLOUD™ Experience.
- Battery STAMINA mode.
- TrackID™ TV.
- 5” Full HD TRILUMINOS Display.
- X-Reality™ for mobile.
- 1920×1080 pixels.
- 20.7 MP camera.
- Sony “G Lens”.
- 8x digital zoom.
- HDR for photo and movies.
- Full HD video recording (1080p).
- 1/2.3-type Exmor RS® for mobile CMOS image sensor.
- Front-facing camera (2 MP 1080p).
- Superior Auto.
- Social live.
- Timeshift burst.
- AR effect.
- Ambient light sensor.
- Proximity sensor.
- DLNA Certified®.
- PlayStation® certified.
- Android™ 4.2 (Jelly Bean).
* In compliance with IP55 and IP58 standards, Xperia™ Z1 is protected against the ingress of dust and water. Provided that all ports and covers are firmly closed, the phone is (i) protected against low pressure jets of water from all practicable directions in compliance with IP55; and/or (ii) can be kept under 1.50 metres of freshwater for up to 30 minutes in compliance with IP58. The phone is not designed to float or work submerged underwater outside the IP55 or IP58 classification range that may lead to your warranty being void. Find more information on Strategy analytics results.
**This feature or service may not be available in every market.
- Download the Xperia™ Z1 white papers – Xperia Z1 C6902/L39h, Xperia Z1 C6903, Xperia Z1 C6906, Xperia Z1 C6943.
- Learn more about SmartWatch 2.
- Check out the new Motion API (API for the Smart Imaging Stand).
- Find out about the Sony Add-on SDK.