We’ve now announced the new Xperia™ Z Ultra, a beast of a smartphone that’s the world’s slimmest and has the largest Full HD display**. Xperia™ Z Ultra boasts a 2.2 GHz Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 800 quad-core processor, 6.4” Full HD TRILUMINOS™ display, LTE, NFC, and ANT+, all contained in a dustproof and waterproof* 6.5mm body weighing just 212 grams. Read on for the complete specs and features in the full post.
Xperia™ Z Ultra is waterproof*, ultra-slim with a lightweight design, and is the first smartphone ever to incorporate a Full HD TRILUMINOS™ Display with X-Reality for mobile to deliver an immersive viewing experience. Xperia™ Z Ultra also features the world’s fastest smartphone processor***, the Qualcomm Snapdragon™ 800 quad-core 2.2 GHz processor, which provides high performance while LTE offers speedy downloads and data streaming.
The world’s largest Full HD smartphone display**
Xperia Z Ultra features a 6.4” Full HD display with Sony’s latest BRAVIA TV technology, TRILUMINOS™ Display for mobile, creating a wider palette of rich natural colours. This breakthrough technology includes X-Reality™ for mobile – Sony’s intelligent display technology which analyses each image to optimise colours, sharpness and contrast for vivid image quality. The super resolution feature reproduces lacking pixels resulting in sharp videos while the large Full HD display has been optimised to experience at least 60%**** more of the screen than most smartphones.
The world’s slimmest large-screen smartphone**
Xperia™ Z Ultra is slim and lightweight with a 6.5mm body and weighs just 212 grams. The front and back are made of tempered glass, creating a seamless surface with the OptiContrast™ panel housed in solid metal frame.
The only waterproof large-screen smartphone*
Xperia™ Z Ultra is rated of IP55 and IP58, ensuring that it is both dustproof and waterproof*. The 8MP camera features “Exmor RS for mobile”, HDR for both photos and film, and Superior Auto mode automatically activates HDR and noise reduction when needed, ensuring great imagery even in challenging light conditions.
Xperia™ Z Ultra also comes with a super responsive screen with handwriting recognition which is compatible with any pencil, and selected stylus or pen (capacitive stylus or metal pen with tip diameter over 1 mm). You can even write from a locked screen and during calls. A carbon-copy function further allows you to memorise notes and sketches – simply write on a piece of paper over the screen and a copy is stored in your smartphone.
Develop for Xperia™ Z Ultra
A number of Sony developer tools are available for Xperia™ Z Ultra. For example, with the Sony Add-on SDK, you can example create app extensions for the in-built Small App functionality by using the Small App API, and you can also create apps for SmartWatch. In a while, we will also update the Sony Add-on SDK to support SmartWatch 2. Stay tuned!
Availability and colours
Xperia™ Z Ultra is available in a choice of black, white or purple colour finishes. Xperia™ Z Ultra will launch globally from Q3 2013 (exact timing of availability will vary by market).
Xperia™ Z Ultra at a glance
- 2.2 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 MSM8974 quad-core processor.
- Adreno 330 GPU.
- 179.4 x 92.2 x 6.5 mm.
- 212 grams.
- Supported networks Xperia™ Z Ultra C6833: UMTS HSPA+ 850 (Band V), 900 (Band VIII), 1700 (Band IV), 1900 (Band II), 2100 (Band I) MHz; GSM GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz; LTE (Bands I, II, III, IV, V, VII, VIII, XX).
- Supported networks Xperia™ Z Ultra C6806: UMTS HSPA+ 850 (Band V), 900 (Band VIII), 1700 (Band IV), 1900 (Band II), 2100 (Band I) MHz; GSM GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz LTE (Bands I, II, IIII, V, VII, VIII, XVII).
- Supported networks Xperia™ Z Ultra C6802: UMTS HSPA+ 850 (Band V), 900 (Band VIII), 1700 (Band IV), 1900 (Band II), 2100 (Band I) MHz; GSM GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz.
- 2 GB RAM.
- Memory card slot: microSD™, (supporting up to 32 GB).
- IPX5/8 (Water-proof)* & IP5X (Dust-proof).
- Mobile BRAVIA Engine 2.
- 3D Surround Sound.
- Clear Bass.
- Clear Phase™.
- Clear stereo.
- xLOUD™ Experience.
- Battery STAMINA mode.
- 6.44” HD TRILUMINOS Display with X-Reality for mobile.
- 1920×1080 pixels.
- 8 MP camera.
- 16x digital zoom.
- HDR for picture and video.
- Full HD video recording (1080p).
- “Exmor RS for mobile”.
- Front-facing camera (2 MP 1080p).
- Superior Auto.
- OptiContrast panel.
- Pen input with stylus.
- Touch panel cover glass with Super Hard Coat ASF.
- Ambient light sensor.
- Proximity sensor.
- DLNA Certified®.
- PlayStation® Certified.
- Android™ 4.2 (Jelly Bean).
*As of 24th of June 2013, outside of Japan, the Xperia™ Z Ultra is the only waterproof smartphone with a Full HD display on global distribution. In compliance with IP55 and IP58, Xperia™ Z Ultra is protected against the ingress of dust and is waterproof. Provided that all ports and covers are firmly closed, the phone is (i) protected against low pressure jets of water from all practicable directions in compliance with IP 55; and/or (ii) can be kept under 1.50 metre of freshwater for up to 30 minutes in compliance with IP58. The phone is not designed to float or work submerged underwater outside the IP55 or IP58 classification range that may lead to your warranty will being void. Find more information on Strategy analytics results.
**Specifications verified by Strategy Analytics’ SpecTRAX service, as of 24th of June 2013 the Xperia™ Z Ultra is the slimmest smartphone with a Full HD display. Find more information on Strategy analytics results.
***Specifications of Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 quad-core 2.2GHz processor verified by Strategy Analytics’ SpecTRAX service as of 24th of June 2013. Find more information on Strategy analytics results.
****Display area available compared to smartphones with a 5” display or smaller.
*****This feature or service may not be available in every market.
- Download the Xperia™ Z Ultra white papers (C6806, C6833, C6802).
- Learn more about SmartWatch 2.
- Find out about the Sony Add-on SDK.
- Learn about the Small App API.
- Learn how Battery STAMINA Mode works.
- Find out how NFC works.
- Read more about how ANT+ works.
- Learn how GLONASS works.
- Read about the OmniBalance design language.