We’ve just announced a major software upgrade for 2011 Xperia™ smartphones. The Xperia™ software upgrade provides users with:
- The latest version of Android software (Gingerbread) including Google Talk with Video Chat for smartphones with front-facing cameras.
- Updated Facebook inside Xperia™ which allows users to like, share, and discover on Facebook faster and easier; users also have the ability to share games, apps and songs directly to Facebook™.
- Enhanced camera capabilities from Sony, including 3D sweep panorama
- Connectivity to USB peripherals (mouse, keypad, or game controller) through the Sony Ericsson LiveDock™ multimedia station.
- Swipe to write which allows for text input by swiping the finger from one letter to the next.
- Screen capture from anywhere on the phone.
The Xperia™ software update will be available for most Sony Ericsson devices launched in 2011. The software upgrade will be available in select markets through a phased roll out starting from October 2011, and applicable Xperia™ phone owners will receive a notification instructing them to download the software over the air via 3G or WiFi. Alternately, they have the option to connect to a computer and download it via PC Companion.